Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Part 2-Transfer Day

Unfortunately, my blog site has been "acting up" the past few days. I was getting an error message every time I would try to type a new post. Anyways, I wanted to consolidate my different journals so here is "Part 2" of our family story I wrote 3 years ago. I cannot believe it has already been 3 years! It seems like just yesterday.



AUGUST 21, 2004 TRANSFER DAY!!

I will start this entry with a little history of this past summer. In May, Matt and I were blessed with a wonderful offer from Lisa and Chris (Matt's sister and husband.) The offer was Lisa would try to become a gestational carrier for Matt and I. Lisa attempted an IVF cycle in Jyne with our frozen embryos, but unfortunately, it was an unsuccessful cycle. We all decided to take a month off to think about things. Matt and I had a few more frozen embryos left, and deep in my heart I just had a good feeling about them. In July, Matt, Lisa and I met with Dr. F to discuss our next steps. Dr. F was very straight forward and did not give us much hope for the remaining eggs since the June cycle was negative. We all discussed our options and decided to give it one more shot. I just could not bear not trying one more time when one of the embryos might just be the one.

A little about Lisa: Lisa is one of the most amazing woman I know. Lisa never questioned her decision to be our gestational carrier. She once told me she felt it was something she was sent to this earth to do. She is an extremely strong person. During this whole process she has never complained and has taken each step in stride. To get her body ready for pregnancy, Lisa's husband, Chris, diligently gave her nightly shots of progesterone (a very thick liquid made in sesame oil,and a very large needle). Lisa was so brave and determined that when Chris was not able to give her a shot she gave it to her self!! Holy brave mama!

On August 21, 2004, Lisa, Matt and I drove to Dr. F's office for the embryo transfer. Lisa and I went back to a small procedure prep area. The doctor came in and was looking at a picture of our embryos and said, "When it rains it pours". Lisa and I immediately thought the worst...none of the embryos survived the thaw. But, the doctor quickly explained there were 3 excellent embryos and 2 of them had already started to hatch on their own. The doctor said this was a wonderful sign and assured us this cycle should produce a pregnancy.

Lisa and I went back to the procedure room and the doctor transferred the beautiful embryos using an ultrasound guided catheter. The whole procedure took about 15 minutes. It was so amazing to see the little embryos on the ultrasound monitor. I gave Lisa a hug and kiss and said a prayer everything would be okay.

We all left the office in excitement. I had recently read that propping your legs for 6 hours after the procedure could be beneficial so when we got to Lisa's house she went right to bed to put her feet up. For the next 48 hours Lisa took it very easy while Chris held up the home front. Now comes the waiting and praying...

No comments: