Sunday, July 8, 2007

Potty Success!!

A few weeks ago, I spoke with my friend Lisa, who is a wonderful mom of 4 boys, about potty training. She told me she trained all of her boys using a M & M dispenser. So, as soon as one of her son's would successfully use the "big boy potty" he would dispense a reward M & M. She swears by this method, and was going to loan me her machine.

I was talking to my mom about her tips and she said she did the same with us girls, but used a bowl of gumdrops on the back of the toilet. I told her about the M & M idea and she said she had a machine in her basement from when my sister, Chrissie, was younger. She brought it over before she went on vacation and today I decided to give it a try.



I prepped the boys last night by showing them the machine, letting them know it was from Nanny and Grandpa (always important leverage), and explaining how they could get a treat.

After we went swimming I brought their potties and some books outside and let them try. You can only image the scene to my neighbors- two naked boys outside on their training potties reading books! I kept reminding them of the cool "treat" if the went on their potty. After a few minutes of reading Joseph jumped up. Success!!! He dispensed himself a few M & M's and was so proud of himself.

But, on the flip side... Dominic was screaming and crying not understanding why he could not have a treat. Now what was I going to do?

I brought Dom's potty inside, calmed him down and got him a small snack and a book and quietly coaxed him into peeing. Success! He was so proud and I was so relieved!

I am SO thankful they were both successful! How stressful if it was only one! I guess this is where a little peer pressure is a good thing!

Thanks to my mom and Lisa for the great tip! We will see how tomorrow goes.

Some pictures of the boys enjoying the summer heat wave- it is still 90 degrees at 10:30 pm!





I also want to welcome our new "niece", Ruby, (my sister Marji's new dog) to our family. We cannot wait to meet her, she is so cute!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Liz, I was looking at that M&M dispenser and thinking it totally looked familiar. I got that thing from that creepy CAM guy at Pizza Cutter for a Christmas exchange. Toooo Funny!!!!